Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My Momma

I was sitting in my speech class earlier today. We were suppose to give an on the spot two-ish minute speech on our "Hero", and we had about ten minutes to prepare.

The first person who popped into my head was my Momma, though I pushed that idea aside knowing that many of the the other students would talk about their moms. (As if they had anything on my Momma) ... But that was what got me. Nobody else's mom had a single thing on my Momma, (No offense to momma's of the world) after all, she is MY Momma. She gave birth to me on a tuesday in April, as June Alison movies played on an old television in the hospital. She let me chew on her knees while she helped my brothers and sisters with their school. She'd hold me and sing to me (Her little pappoos) despite my embarrassment, and pleas for her to stop. She would laugh, but not remove me from her lap.

My Momma would let me come outside and help her on her latest furniture building projects. For when I was little, I wanted to grow up and become a carpenter on the TLC show "Trading Spaces" (That dream fell apart rather quickly...) My Momma taught me how to read, how to write, how to count... She taught me my manners, to respect others even when they push you down, to be kind... most of all, my Momma taught me the ability to learn. To not be arrogant and believe that nobody else could show me how to improve.

My Momma loves every last one of her eight children dearly, and has such great empathy for every one of us. She is always there for us and always, ALWAYS puts the needs of our family above her own. Something my Momma has always wanted, even though it might sound a tad silly, is a chicken coop. My Dad had been setting money aside and gave her the money for the coop. My Momma got excited and we started clearing some of our property where we would put this coop. Alas, our well pump broke, and we needed a new well dug. We aren't a poor family by any stretch of the imagination, but unforeseen happenstances such as this weren't exactly in our budget. My Momma, against the wishes of all of us, gave the money from her long wished for chicken coop and paid for the new well to be dug. And still, my Momma does not have a chicken coop. If there was one thing I was able to give to me Momma, it would be a lovely chicken coop, with several fat and happy hens to lay fresh eggs for her.

I decided to continue on with my Momma being my Hero, because she is. Though I was unable to fit all that my Momma is in two minutes (Or four... I might have gone over on time...) I hope that she one day will understand what she means to all of her children, and how she has impacted our lives for the better in every way possible.

I hope that I will one day be as wonderful, caring, and loving a mother as my Momma is.

I love you Momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment