Monday, September 24, 2012

Are you Russian? Random encounters.

I am not a very social person. Yet I always happen to have the strangest encounters with people I don't even know. Especially in the past few years.

And most of them are at my college.

One time last semester I was hurriedly rushing from one class to another balancing two school bags and a large portfolio with zero minutes to get from one class to another. (You see, I had one class that ended at 1:30 and another class that started at 1:30.) Just as I was passing a bench with a ragged older man curiously seated and mumbling to himself I realized he wasn't mumbling to himself, but to me.

"Miss." I slowed to a stop and turned toward the unsettling stranger...
"Yes?"
"I said: Are you Russian?"
"No sir... I'm not..."
"Scandinavian??"
"Uh, no?"
"European??"
"No sir, just plain ol' American."
"Well, you're really beautiful, thought I'd let you know."
"Uh... Thank you." I turned and quickly hurried off to my spanish class. It was definitely a good dinner table story that night.

Another time a lady paid me to apply to a job for her. (It didn't work)

And once, in the library at a computer a guy struck up a conversation with me because I was watching anime. (Howl's moving Castle)

And earlier today a guy sat next to me, said hi, went silent, complimented me on my laptop, then just moved on.

I wish I could share all my random encounters, but alas I'm afraid I am not done experiencing them in the least. So perhaps another time I can share more.

No comments:

Post a Comment